Bishop Bennie Allison, Founder of Corinthian Temple, was born on December 25, 1919, in Hogansville, GA, where he received his formal education. In 1941, was united in holy matrimony to the late Mozella Boddie. The couple was blessed with 55 wonderful years of marriage and four beautiful children: David, LuVonia, Charles and JoAnne.
Moved by the Spirit of God, Elder Bennie Allison made preparations to organize a church, even though he was without the first month’s rent and without members. He did, however, have the financial assistance of the late Deacon W. S. Wade of Metropolitan Baptist Church and Deacon W. Loggins of Beverly Temple Church of God in Christ. Though quite ill at the time of organization and purchase of the church, Mother Mozella nevertheless encouraged his obedience to God. Divinely led to have his wife read for him I Corinthians 1:1-10, Elder Allison received the name Corinthian Church of God in Christ, along with the complete deliverance of his wife, who was healed instantly after reading the scripture. On December 13, 1954, acting on faith and divine instruction from God and with only eleven members, Corinthian Church of God in Christ was officially opened for service at 2953 West Lake Street. Almost four years later, Pastor Allison was led to build a house for God, but because of the discouragement and criticism from many who said such a task was impossible, settled for purchasing a house front located at 3329 West Washington Boulevard.
In 1968, Pastor Allison extended his ministry and evangelism to the entire city of Chicago and outlying suburbs through radio broadcasting each Sunday night from 9-10 PM over Station WSBC. Through this media, many souls came to Christ and many were healed.
Reminded though of his assignment to build a House for God, Pastor Allison led an energizing and successful campaign to build a new church and in 1971 led his small (but supportive) congregation into the new Corinthian Temple Church of God in Christ. His membership grew to over two hundred, with over twenty auxiliaries.
For fifty years Pastor Allison served as Founder and Pastor of Corinthian Temple Church of God in Christ, and will long be remembered for being a powerful gospel preacher, a man of great faith, a teacher of the unadulterated Word of God, a motivator and developer of outstanding leaders for ministry, and for literally touching thousands through his powerful radio ministry of nearly forty years. He will be remembered for being a church builder, a builder of men, and for helping pastors all over the City of Chicago to renovate and build churches.
In 1997, Pastor Allison was elevated to the position of Auxiliary Bishop by former Presiding Bishop Chandler David Owens and the General Board of the Church of God in Christ. In addition, recognized as a community activist, Bishop Allison served as President of the Garfield Community Organization, Founder and CEO of Allison United Foundation for Better Living (a 22,000 sq. ft. community center), special assistant to Chicago’s Mayor Richard Daley, a member of the Illinois Coalition of Religious Leaders and Westside Ministers Alliance.
In 1995, Bishop Allison was united in holy matrimony to Mother Emma Allison, who lovingly cared for him until his demise on May 22, 2004. He answered the call of his maker, and made his transition from the labor of this life to the rest and fellowship of the saints in Heaven. The mantle has been passed to his grandson, Elder David Todd Whittley, who will, by the help of God, take the Corinthian Temple Church of God in Christ to another dimension in ministry.